If there’s one things I’ve heard a-hundred times over the past 2 weeks from clients and friends, “Once we have a routine established, I can get back to my rituals.” So, today, we're talking about the action of practicing little routines that eventually become rituals, because one thing a lot of us have “surrendered to” as new moms is letting some of your favorite life-giving, soul-giving things go.
Because, let me tell you. If you let those “school year” routines go too far during the summer it’s a lot harder to return to them than it is to keep them up all year long.
Here’s the deal. Any rituals that become chores are not going to do anything positive for you, your body, your brain or your relationships. Even with training for a big event, such as a-hundred mile run, for me there has to be joy coming from the practice.
Rituals that my clients practice, and the ones that feed them good juju in their busy lives:
- Meditation BEFORE they go to sleep or when the kids are at school and they have a break at work. I’ll go to the extent of saying some pull tarot cards post meditation for extra guidance
- Regular cardiovascular exercise, daily.
- A quiet cup of coffee before everyone else in the house is awake.
- Cooking meals without a kid yelling “MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM!” (You’ll have to recruit help on this one to make it work)
- Time during their commute, listening to a book, reading and finishing a magazine, because nobody is there to interrupt.
- Letting a smoothie or something light be your lunch to give your physical body a rest during stressful days, especially when you can't cleanse (#whenbreastfeeding).
- Feet UP the wall, daily, when stressed to calm the nervous system.
- Getting a mani/pedi or a wax, keeping up with the grooming.
I mean, come on...basic levels here. Nothing profound, however the consistent practice of a routine induces it into a life ritual.
Now, it’s your turn. What are 3 ‘rituals’ you’ve let go over summer that you want to take back now that you’re developing more of a personal routine with school back in session? The crux to this question…How will you make these routines rituals (and give them energy everyday)? Let me know in the comments below.
I hope wherever you are this week that Indian Summer infuses you with joy and renewal, September is one of my favorite months. This week, I return to Minneapolis and dive into my branding with Braid Creative. This is my favorite month of the year, and I'm fulling stepping into the CHANGE that the last 7 weeks has brought me. Where does time go?
Sending heaps of love and grounding.